No one really knows why the island was named Governor’s Island. But is was owned by Governor Wentworth by a land grant in 1772.
Eventually the Island passed through many hands until it was bought by Nathaniel Davis. Davis constructed the first Bridge to the Island, and he established a successful farming co-operative. Little remains of this settlement but it is why the Island was called Davis Island by some in the area. The Island remained in the Davis family from 1799 until 1857 where is passed through many hands until 1880 when the Island was bought by Stilson Hutchins (founder of the Washington Post). Hutchins built a Granite mansion on summit of the Island that would have had impressive views of Lake Winnipesaukee and the mountain ranges. The legacy of Hutchins ownership is the development of the shoreline and summit roads the remain to this day. In 1928 Governor’s Island was purchased by Clifford hayes who attempted to create a resort area similar to Bald Peak Colony Club.The mansion burned in 1934 and the venture failed in in 1935 when estate fell into foreclosure, But the stone barn was purchased from the bank by an association of the Islanders who restored it and turned it into a recreational center. Since 1960's Governor’s Island has grew steadily to over 156 homes in 1990's.
Property values have increased by over 400% over the past 50 years.
Real Estate is still a great investment on Governor’s Island as property values are still increasing, and the recent housing crisis has not effected this market. The island still is host to the Governor’s Island Club and the association is thriving.
To learn more about the Gilford NH area see the Thompson-Ames Historical Society.